Casual Employment Information Statement
Employers are required to give every new casual employee a Casual Employment Information Statement (the CEIS) when they start a new job along with the Fair Work Information Statement (FWIS).
The CEIS provides new casual employees with information about their conditions of employment including:
- the definition of a casual employee
- when an employer has to offer casual conversion
- when an employer doesn’t have to offer casual conversion
- when a casual employee can request casual conversion
- casual conversion entitlements of casual employees employed by small business employers
- the role of the Fair Work Commission to deal with disputes about casual conversion.
If you don’t already have the Casual Employment Information Statement set up in your Flare account and/or onboarding journeys, we’ve created a simple guide to help you make these changes.
Download and Add the CEIS to your Employer Library
- Download the latest PDF version of the CEIS from the Fair Work Ombudsman
- Navigate to Organisation > Library and select the relevant folder you would like to add the CEIS to
- Click Add new document, enter a title and description (optional) and click Select and upload.
- Locate the CEIS PDF you downloaded and select it, before clicking Open.
Set up the Security Permissions of the Document
- Locate the CEIS in your Employer Library and right click on it, selecting Properties
- Select the Security tab and enter which permission groups should have access to view the document. For a non-confidential document such as the CEIS we recommend using the Everyone group to ensure the document is accessible.
- Click Update
Attach to your Onboarding Journeys
- Navigate to Settings > Rules > Process templates
- Select Onboarding and off boarding in the Process Group dropdown
- Select the onboarding journey to which you would like to add the CEIS. If you don’t already, we recommend setting up separate onboarding journeys for your Casual Employees. You can find more information on setting up multiple onboarding journeys here.
- Select the step to which you would like to add the CEIS or alternatively add and configure a new step. An existing step may be called Important policies and documents and has the content type Read Document (on the right-hand side).
- On the right hand side of the selected step, select Add from Library.
- In the pop up that appears using the pin icons select all of the documents that the employee should review in this step, including the CEIS, before clicking Select. You may also include the Fair Work Information Statement as well in this step, as well as any other relevant policies.
- Scroll up or down and click Save to save the updates made to the onboarding journey.
- Repeat steps c - g for any other applicable onboarding journeys.
While you are performing the above, you may also want to check that the Fair Work Information Statement you supply to employees through Flare is up to date and use the linked article to update if not. Both the Fair Work Information Statement and Casual Employee Information Statement should be regularly checked and updated if required.
Here are some additional articles from our Knowledge Base that you can access for further information:
- How to add a policy to onboarding
- How to add a policy to an info request
- How to issue a new policy or policy update via an info request
If you have any questions or need any assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to our Community team at email@example.com