Work patterns allows for the assignment of hours worked each day to enable the correct application of leave requests.
You have a part time employee that changed work pattern but the work pattern does not exist in the system yet? Let me show you how to create and assign your own work pattern.
Work patterns are created at a company level, before it can be assigned to employees. The steps to create company level work patterns are as follows:
1. Select Settings < Work Patterns from the main menu
Work pattern's are not easily edited or deleted. To avoid confusion ensure no duplicate work patterns are created by going through the current list of work patterns first by clicking the drop down arrow.
Your work pattern is not in the list? Let's proceed and create it then.
2. Select + Add Pattern and complete the following
a. Provide a title (any naming convention will suffice, but it is recommended to choose something easily understandable)
b. Select the number of days in a cycle
c. Tick the days worked each pay period (default start and end time will be set to 9am and 5pm respectively)
d. Adjust the start and end date as required, along with setting the break start and break end times
The option of creating a work pattern which spans 24hrs is only applicable where a Time & Attendance (T&A) system is being utilised and hours each pay period are imported via a timesheet, and employees are on a variable work pattern / roster.
For assigning work patterns to employees have a look at the Work Patterns: Edit Employee's WP article.
Depending upon the approval process in place, the work pattern will only become active once approved by HR / Payroll or the employees Manager. The work pattern approval process can be viewed by selecting Settings < Rules < Approval Process.
Reviewing Leave Assignment
When an employee changes work patterns, their leave entitlements per year should be updated to reflect their new entitlements.
The steps to review the leave entitlement assignment is as follows:
1. Select Employees < Payroll Setup < Setup Pay
2. In the Employee Payroll Items tab, there should be leave types with an entitlement assigned
3. Update the Annual Hours field for all leave types which are needing to be recalculated
4. Select Save and ensure that the Start Date in the change management pop up box is set to the date of the new work pattern assignment
Accrual Calculation methods
There are only two methods of leave accrual that can be assigned to an employee
- Fixed Amount Each Period: This is the calculation method assigned to salaried employees who have a work pattern. Leave will be accrued based on their standard hours per pay period (i.e. leave accrued per pay period is consistent except for monthly employees.
The Annual Hours field is to contain the number of leave hours an employee is entitled to in a year. For salaried employees, LSL Annual Hours are not needing to be set as this is calculated based on Pay State and work pattern.
- Based on Timesheet Hours: This is the calculation method assigned to timesheet employees who have a variable work pattern (i.e. 24hrs). Leave will be accrued based on hours worked each pay period.
The Rate Per Hour field is to contain the rate at which leave is accrued (i.e. employee who is entitled to 4 weeks annual leave will have a rate of 0.07692). For timesheet employees, their LSL Rate Per Hours also needs to be set based on their Pay State